We get up early and I usually do not think about what to cook for dinner for a few hours. But that’s not a problem for me, because we have cut our chickens in half and frozen each half in its own freezer bag. A half-chicken will thaw in about two hours, and it takes only one hour to cook. I need three hours advance time to prepare our chicken dinner, including the thawing time.
1) Put half-chicken in baking dish.
2) Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the chicken, (Optional)
3) Cover the bottom of the baking dish with about 1/4 inch of water.
4) Put it into a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. Check it. It may take an hour or more, but not very much longer. (We buy 5+ pound chickens, so usually my half-chicken will require about one hour.)
5) When the skin is well browned and the broth on the bottom is sizzling, take it out of the oven.
6) Cool it. Cut it in pieces at the joints. (I cut the breast in half, also, with my brute strength and sharp knife.)
I like baked chicken not only because it is delicious, but it’s nice to let the oven do the cooking. Today we have rice pilaf, mushroom soup, and raw tomato.